World of Chig   

13.10.08
Happy Birthday Paddington Bear!

Paddington Bear, our favourite asylum seeker, is fifty years old today. The polite Peruvian doesn't look a day over five, does he, boys and girls? I only mention this birthday because at secondary school, one of the highlights of my am-dram career was playing Mr. Brown in the play version of the Paddington Bear story, so I've always had a soft spot for the little fella. The highlight of the play for me was the hilarious cream cake scene, which always ended up with Paddington's cream cake (shaving foam) ending up splattered all over my face, oddly enough. A career in slapstick comedy beckoned, but I strayed from the path.

I used to watch the five minute Paddington programmes on the telly as well. This is how it all began:



Michael Bond, who created Paddington fifty years ago, was a cameraman on Blue Peter, which also celebrates its 50th birthday this week, but we'll get to that on Thursday...

Labels: ,


· link

Home