World of Chig   

22.4.08
Be still my beating heart!

I think I have died and gone to heaven! Sweden's queen of pop Nanne Grönvall has just been added to the bill of the UK's Eurovision party which me and a thousand of my closest friends(!) are attending at the Scala in London on Friday. I love her! She even tried to sing for us! She's recovering from breast cancer! She is the Swedish Kylie! Swoon.

Let's have a look at Nanne's career highlights.

One More Time - 'Den Vilda' - Eurovision 1996


Nanne was a member of the group which came third for Sweden with this beautiful song which bears a passing resemblance to the works of Enya. The piano player is Nanne's husband, Peter Grönvall, who happens to be the son of ABBA's Benny Andersson.




Nanne Grönvall - 'Avundsjuk' - Melodifestivalen 1998


I fell in love with this song in the first Melodifestivalen I ever saw, and developed a strange fascination with the mad pixie singing it. It was one of the first songs in Swedish that I ever got to know (and tried to sing!)



Nanne Grönvall - 'Men' - A Song For Europe 2001

Okay, this is a bit rubbish, even if it was written by former Wave, Kimberley Rew, who wrote 'Love Shine A Light'. At least Nanne was prepared to swallow her (national) pride and sing for Blighty!



Nanne Grönvall - 'Håll Om Mig' - Melodifestivalen 2005

Finally, here's the song which the public wanted to represent Sweden in Eurovision 2005 until they added the jury vote and sent Martin Stenmarck instead (and bombed - ha!) We haven't seen stomping and strutting like this since Tina Turner. You go girl! See you Friday!

Labels: , ,


· link

Home