World of Chig   

29.2.08
Happy Leap Day (AKA Salaried Workers' Resentment Day)

This blog has been going for over six years, but this is the first time I've written anything on the 29th of February. Let us pause to mark this momentous occasion.

It seems I didn't blog anything on the last Leap Year Day, in 2004. It fell on a Sunday, the day after I'd been to Making Your Mind Up and I was still in London, so I was nowhere near a computer on the day. (I believe they did have computers in London in 2004, but you know what I mean.)

We had a team meeting at work yesterday, in which I repeated a moan that I'd already mentioned to a few colleagues in the last few days. Namely, that the two long term temps in our team would have their revenge today. For one day only, they will be the only people being paid for working in our office, as they're paid by the hour for the exact hours they work. The rest of us will be working one more day than last year, for no extra money, effectively working for free. It was only a throwaway comment, but our manager went and consulted with one of our 'employee representatives' (the nearest we have to union reps) who came back with a surprising piece of information.

Apparently, the official line is that our annual salary includes an amount to cover one quarter of a day each year. Now that's clever. I haven't even heard the CBI make that argument, when they were warning people not to take sickies today to express their resentment at working for nothing. However, I e-mailed back to ask if people who have left without working through a leap year February have had to pay back this quarter day payment for each non-leap year that they've worked. I'm still waiting for an answer.

As far as the other aspect of this special day is concerned, I would like to say that yes, I am available for any woman who would like to propose marriage to me today. Rates are negotiable. I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.

Labels: ,


· link

Home