World of Chig   

7.2.07
Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

At least there are some advantages of living in a country where the whole national infrastructure is in danger of collapse at the merest hint of snow. Our manager at work has already acknowledged in an e-mail today that some of us may not be able to get into work tomorrow, so I really hope this predicted heavy snowfall materialises overnight and doesn't turn out to be a false dawn. The chances look good, with Birmingham right at the heart of the '90% chance of disruption' area on a Met Office map that I saw earlier. I love it when it snows and I don't have to go anywhere, so bring it on! Driving ten miles to work will hopefully be far too dangerous to attempt in the morning and I'll be able to go out and take lovely photos of a snow-covered neighbourhood, then watch people moaning all day on the TV news about how the government really should have done something to prevent it. Fingers crossed.

Note to British people: Some countries have snow quite a lot. They manage.

In a well-timed move, the Asda store next to work today had a big stock of traditional looking 'slatted' sledges, for £20 each, plus some cheaper things which were basically plastic trays, but with a bit sticking out of the front for holding on to. This led to a conversation with a colleague where I wondered if my old sledge (which my Dad made) is still in my Mum's shed, twenty miles away. And then I wondered why I was even considering going sledging, when I realised that there are plenty of parks within walking distance of home, but I can't think of anywhere that has even the slightest hill. Damn.

Labels:


· link

Home