World of Chig   

6.2.07
Last night in London

Mika was excellent. The whole party/gig was fabulous and very well organised by a certain mobile phone company, in a marquee that had a Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, candy pink theme to it. JG from OverYourHead was wonderful company, coping very well with my moaning that I couldn't take advantage of the free alcohol because I currently have a faulty liver. (Oh, woe is me.) We schmoozed and chatted to interesting strangers. We stared at The Feeling, and stood next to them but were too shy to speak to them. One of them had brought the wife, so we stared at her as well (because she's Sophie Ellis Bextor). Emma B trod on me as I was fiddling with my camera bag while crouched on the floor. She very politely said 'sorry' as I looked up and thought 'you're Emma B, even from this angle'. (We didn't speak properly, even though we have mutual friends from her time in Brum.) I chatted to a young spunk while JG entertained the cutie's mother, in a novel collaborative approach to scoring at public events. (I didn't, but we swapped numbers and I took photos of him. I have a feeling we'll be hearing more of him.) We laughed with drag queens. We saw lots of people who looked vaguely familiar, probably off the telly, without being able to place them. We didn't get around to having a candy floss, but a young woman did bribe me with a toffee apple to e-mail her some photos, which worked. I'm that cheap. I recognised a boybander (two top ten hits) who I first met (and photographed) nearly four years ago, so we reacquainted ourselves at the end of the evening. Quite a charmer he was too. And I nearly got one of my photos of Mika into tomorrow's Independent newspaper. Oh, it's a giddy social whirl!

JG's report sums up an excellent night, with some photos from his cameraphone which are so good that you wonder why anyone would bother buying a camera. The rest of his photos are here. Thank you JG! Thank you Mika! Thank you well-known-mobile-phone-company for your competition prize and lovely PR people! Mwah!

The Evening Standard's reviewer was there too. Spot the two factual errors in his review. I mentioned them both in my comment, which now appears at the bottom of the article, but they have seen fit to edit out one of them. The swines! So, let me point out here that Mika has been number one for three weeks, not four. (Yet.)

Labels: ,


· link

Home