World of Chig   

2.1.07
Today's TV

For those of us with an extra day off work today, how's this for a strange scheduling coincidence?

12:50, BBC 2: Great Expectations (1946) David Lean's adaptation of Charles Dickens's novel.
13:00, More 4: Oliver Twist (1948) David Lean's adaptation of Charles Dickens's novel.

I've opted to watch Oliver Twist, which I am doing right now. I have performed on stage in both 'Oliver!' and the little-known sequel, 'Dodger', so the story has always had a special place in my heart. (I was understudy for the vile undertaker's assistant in 'Oliver!', but I never did get to 'give' my Noah Claypole, daaahlings. I still remember the lines though!) Despite that, I've never seen this 1948 film version. It sure is grim in black and white, without all the singing and dancing. Dickens must have been furious that Lean took out all of his songs.

Of course, the main TV event of the season (for me, at least) is tonight, with the return of This Life after ten years, for episode 33. I was glued to the original two series and I can't wait to watch later. I have series 1 as a video box set, still shrink-wrapped, but that's because I watched them all twice anyway when they were broadcast. My Dad was also hooked at the time, and he has just received the DVD box set for Christmas, from my sister. He has watched the recent repeats of the first two series all over again on TV as well.

I'm really hoping that Egg has made it as a writer and that Miles hasn't been mad enough to remain with Anna, or vice versa. I'm also quite glad to hear who's apparently dead. The actor concerned always seemed so ungrateful about the fame that This Life brought him first time round, so I'm not surprised they didn't ask him back. His acting career seems to have gone the same way as his sister's music.

(Oh. Some plot details are given away here. Approach with caution.)

I wonder if we'll see the return of my favourite character, Cock-er-nee wide boy Jo, played by Steve John Shepherd. He was luvverly-jubbly.

Will you be watching This Life tonight?

Labels: , , , ,


· link

Home