World of Chig   

10.12.06
Poignant

Today is the fourth anniversary of the death of my Gran, something which was very much on my mind today, especially when I spoke to my Mum earlier. We both said that we were intending to watch the Victoria Wood wartime drama on ITV1 tonight, Housewife, 49. What I didn’t realise beforehand was that it was set around Barrow-in-Furness, with mentions in the script of the munitions factory there. This was quite spooky, because during the war my gran and grandad, along with his sister and her husband, moved up from Coventry so that they could work in that very munitions factory. That’s the reason my Mum was born in 1943 in Ulverston, just down the road. Of all the days this drama could have been on…it was very poignant. Gran would have loved it, as I did too. Victoria Wood was perfect in the title rôle, as was David Threlfall, playing her uptight husband. He was only recognisable from Shameless by his voice. He looked like a completely different person.


· link

Home