World of Chig   

28.5.06
Ray of Light

More than any other photo, this picture of my feet and jeans sums up yesterday, the first day of Birmingham Pride. One word: quagmire.



Still, those who managed to endure the mud and the rain had a good time, and it was all very well organised, it seemed to me. For me, it was hard work, working for three organisations and trying to take photos of everyone and everything, but it was fun at the same time (and to be honest I wouldn't have it any other way - I love being busy on days like this).

Respect is due to rapper Q-Boy for being such a good sport and being one of those moments of fun (below) as he protested 'You're objectifying me!' Well, yes, I can't deny it, but what a nice guy he was. Thank you.



Today, thankfully, the weather has improved and the Pride parade this afternoon brought Birmingham city centre to life. The Nightingale team, led by the irrepressible dance leader Andy, stole the show with their combat costumes and formation dancing. They were stunning. (Those costumes were kept secret from everyone wearing them until today - the dancers didn't know what they were wearing until they turned up for the parade.)



Before I zip off back into town to do it all again, probably until 6am like last night/this morning, here's a picture of me and my favourite Serb, just after the parade hit the gay village this afternoon.



There's a really good atmosphere around the gay village today. We have a very nice new bar/restaurant, the Loft Lounge, which I attended on Wednesday for a private opening party and which opened to the public on Friday and is spilling out onto Bromsgrove Street today. I also met someone there on Wednesday who has put a spring in my step for the last few days, and I keep bumping into him over this Pride weekend. (Okay, I keep tracking him down.) Something clicked between us in a way I haven't felt for months...years. He's lovely and I keep getting butterflies in my tummy when we speak. I am smitten. There's a clue in the title. Watch this space.

One of the managers of the Loft Lounge has very kindly offered to feed me, 'on the house' I think, so I must go back. This isn't payola; it really is a lovely bar.


· link

Home