World of Chig   

16.5.06
Random mutterings from Greece

I'm not quite sure why, but I'm not sleeping very much out here in Athens. After getting to bed at something like 3.30 this morning, I found myself wide awake at 7.50am, wondering why. I couldn't sleep after that, even though the first rehearsal today was only starting at 11.00. So, I lay in bed and deleted some of the rubbish pictures from my camera. I only got through the first 600; I appear to have taken about 1,500 so far! You would hardly believe it's possible, but it's true!

I even had time to wash some clothes, so I will have clean underwear for later in the week. Just in case you were concerned about that.

Yesterday evening was hectic, and a little fraught with anxiety at times, mainly due to useless taxi drivers, who don't appear to know their own city, or much English. (I know, I know, why do we always expect other people to know English? But taxi drivers, in a modern European capital...come on.)

The UK's first rehearsal was on quite late yesterday, and then we had to wait for Daz's conference, as I wanted to ask a question (which I did). We then had to dash off back to the apartment and swap my beachwear (yes, it's that hot during the day) for clothes more befitting of a reception with the mayor. We needn't have bothered though, because the delay in Daz's rehearsal, coupled with a taxi driver who 'didn't know' how to drive to one of the most conspicuous buildings in Athens, made us an hour late, so we didn't see the mayor anyway. Then it turned out not to be a posh do at all, but a live TV show in which we were just the audience. It had its moments and I enjoyed the whole spectacle, but give me the sumptuous reception that we had in Istanbul any day over that. The food was rubbish too (and mostly gone by the time we arrived). All I had last night was cheese sandwiches and chooclate éclairs, washed down with white wine, Amstel beer (heavily sponsoring the whole thing) and a few vodka and cokes later. I really should have been more drunk than I was.

I'm doing a radio interview /podcast later for Thoroughly Good, so must dash, but I'll keep popping back when I have chance. This afternoon, we also have the BBC photocall for those of us who have brought school uniforms out here. I have made a half-hearted attempt, with a shirt and tie, but couldn't get a cap. Others have made MUCH more effort!

Read a full report of Daz's superb rehearsal and entertaining media conference yesterday on ESCtoday here. It was me who asked the question about betting!


· link

Home