World of Chig   

18.5.06
Nipples, fireworks and the serviettes of death

We're off in a few minutes, for what is now the third annual UK and Irish media boys' pre-qualifier prediction meal. Phew! What a mouthful.

This is where we write down, sometimes on our napkins (hence the 'Serviettes of Death' name) our predicted ten countries to get through from tonight into the final. So, even though I made a prediction in the Thoroughly Good podcast on Tuesday, here are my ten as of now. Earlier this afternoon, Mike and I were in the sixth row for the final dress rehearsal for tonight's show. Let me tell you one thing.

YOU MUST WATCH LORDI!



I had a 'Eurovision moment' near the end of their song for Finland. The sixth row was FAR TOO NEAR the flames - we copuld actually feel the heat. It is pyrotechnic overkill and absolutely bloody brilliant! It made me shudder in a goosepimpley way, and I wrote the word AWESOME in big letters in my notebook. That's how good they are.

Top totty in tonight's show: Monaco's dancer, Thierry. He's the Caucasian one of the two. Nipples ahoy! I've spoken to him. He oozes sex. Actually, he looks really camped up on stage (as he's wearing a sarong and a lot of make-up, but in real life...phwoar! Bloody gorgeous.

We also have UK-based dancers (two of whom I'd met before, back at home) dancing for Turkey. One of them is Glenn Ball who used to be in Pop!, the pop group. Yes, the one I saw in Selfridges recently. Glenn, Scot and (possibly) Jamesd are all Brits, and Arthur is London-based, born in Armenia and raised in Belgium. They're all nice guys, with a few interesting tattoos and a lotn of big muscles between them. All four of them are fit as hell and dance superbly. I'll be thrilled if they get through, but the song may not be strong enough, so enjoy them tonight in case they're not in Saturday's show.

My friend Stephen has not only started a blog this week, but also predicted his ten. They're from listening to the CD though and don't take into account things like Monaco's poor singing and my general lack of interest in Portuguese girlgroups. However, see Stephen's list here.

So, here we go. Remember, I correctly predicted only six last year, after eight in 2004, so who knows how this will go. There are 'head vs. heart' issues with some of them as well, but I think the ten will be...

None of the first seven songs. (Stick with it; the show gets better later.)

Roughly in order of certainty:

Bosnia-Herzegovina
Finland
FYR Macedonia
Estonia
Sweden
Iceland
Russia
Poland
Lithuania
Ireland

Yes, Ireland. Who'd have thought?

Next would come Cyprus and Ukraine.

Netherland and Portugal have no chance whatsoever. All the rest is up for grabs. Have fun if you're watching, and could someone please record Big Brother's opening night for me? Ta.


· link

Home