World of Chig   

14.5.06
Chig: Big In Russia

I am absolutely amazed at the news that Andy from esckaz.com has left in my comments boxes. (Thank you Andy!) It seems the word of Chig has been spreading across Russian printed media, on the subject of their singer, Dima Bilan. Andy lives in Kazakhstan, and his website is a very reliable source for Eurovision news from all of the former Soviet countries. We have spoken in person a few times, as Andy has attended Eurovision once (in Istanbul, I think?)

He wrote this yesterday:

Hi, Chig! Hope you will have good time in Athens. Just wanted to let you know one interesting fact. Eurovision review of Gay Times is heavily reprinted in Russian media with notification that Bilan is considered one of the favourites there. Not sure whether you are connected with that review, but may be interesting for you.


I wasn't just connected with the review - I wrote the whole page! I had a look last night at the May issue of Gay Times, to remind myself what I wrote about Dima Bilan, and it wasn't very much. But Andy has explained this today, as the Russian media have also reported some of my other comments. Andy again:

Great, that I can do some translation and you can compare with what you wrote:

"Famous British magazine Gay Times has included Dima Bilan in the list of the most good looking singers of this year Eurovision. "If he undress on stage, he will have great chances". Magazine also mentiones Mihai, Luiz, Anzej ... Then they speak on them and others ... In the end magazine predicts win for Hari Mata Hari, with ethnic ballad, but we think that as Bilan also has ballad, and we consider his chances to be better than old and not goodlooking Bosnian..."

Then they keep on speculating mentioning that probably Dima should follow advice and undress indeed. About 10 news sites and printed papers including famous tabloid MK, have your review covered.


Wow! I'm amazed! Imagine how many Russian people are reading all those publications and websites! And how rude of them to call Hari 'old and not goodlooking'!

I saw Dima's rehearsal earlier today and it was good, but sadly he hasn't taken my advice and is keeping his kit on throughout. I also saw his press conference from very near the front and then saw him outside and took some good photos of him. Hilariously, I also caught one of his printed cushions, which he threw into the audience at the conference, so I can sleep next to his face if I so desire.

'Rahmet' and 'spasibo' to Andy for telling me that news. It has made my day!


· link

Home