World of Chig   

7.3.06

Merci bien and dank u to a very nice man in Belgium, who I don't even know. I've received the CD single of Kate Ryan's Eurovision entry from him in the post today, which means this year's Eurovision singles collection is off to the earliest start ever. (Only 38 more to go...) Here it is, on my scanner. He has also sent me the Eurosong '06 compilation album, which is all 28 of Belgium's contenders this year, and the new album from Telex, who I thought were probably dead after being a bit quiet for twenty years. However, they have turned into cartoons instead, like Gorillaz, and just released a new album of electropopped cover versions, called how do you dance?, which includes their take on Sandra Kim's Belgian Eurovision winner from 1986, J'aime la vie and Sparks' #1 Song In Heaven. I'm liking it a lot.

For the benefit of younger readers, Telex were like a novelty, non-German version of Kraftwerk. In 1979, they had their one UK hit; an electro version of Rock Around The Clock, which made number 34 here. They represented Belgium in Eurovision the next year, coming a dismal 17th of 19 songs with their anthem, wackily entitled Eurovision. The UK managed to be one of only three countries to give them any points. (We gave them one of their fourteen.) Then they disappeared off my radar for 25 years and now they're back. They kind of explain where they've been in this amusing cartoon interview, where they also reveal what their Eurovision experience was like. Sort of.

Further info - absolutely loads of it - on my Croatian favourite, can be found here on Catherine's brilliantly detailed blog, the Illyrian Gazette. ('This is Illyria, ladie'... Yes, I remember reading Twelfth Night.) Catherine and I met once at the Retro Bar. She includes all the reaction in Croatia to the win, and the build-up last week to the national final, the Dora.

Word of the week is: Turbofolk


· link

Home