World of Chig   

15.2.06
The Brits 2006 - the winners!

22:20 Here are the winners of tonight's Brit Awards.

As a reminder, if they’re in italics, they would have been my choice too.
If they’re in bold, they were my predicted winner.
Not counting Paul Weller, I make it six correct predictions, which is two or three down from last year, I think. I got the male and female soloists right in all four categories, but after that only predicted Arctic Monkeys and Lemar correctly.

The biggest surprises for me are Gorillaz not winning anything and Green Day winning two, including one for an album which is from October 2004; the very beginning of the 15 month qualification period, if I understand correctly. Like U2 winning Grammys all over again last week for a similarly old album, it all seems a bit irrelevant. Sixteen months is a long time in anyone's life, let alone in music.

I'm pleased for the Kaiser Chiefs, winning three when I thought they would lose out on all of them, but I'm most pleased for Jack Johnson's win. I hoped for that one, but didn't expect the voters to share my immaculate taste(!)

The Winners:

British male solo artist
James Blunt

British female solo artist
KT Tunstall

British album
Coldplay - X&Y

British group
Kaiser Chiefs

British rock act
Kaiser Chiefs

British urban act
Lemar

Pop act
James Blunt

British breakthrough act
Arctic Monkeys

International breakthrough act
Jack Johnson

British live act
Kaiser Chiefs

British single
Coldplay - Speed of Sound

International male solo artist
Kanye West

International female solo artist
Madonna

International group
Green Day

International album
Green Day - American Idiot

Outstanding contribution to music
Paul Weller


· link

Home