World of Chig   

17.2.06
And the winner of the Brian Kennedy song contest is...

...Brian Kennedy!

Yes, tonight's compulsory viewing here at Chig Mansions was another two inch square screen watching the Irish final live on RTE via t'internet. Brian Kennedy performed three songs, one of them written by him, and that's the one that won; 'Every Song Is A Cry For Love'. It was probably the best choice for possible Irish success in Athens, although lyrically I preferred the second performed song. You can't fault his singing, so he'll be one to watch for at least getting out of the Tursday qualifier. (I reserve my judgment until more songs are chosen.)

The first song performed tonight was called 'The Greatest Song Of All'. As it didn't win the televote, this now seems a questionable claim.

Next stop (for me) is Belgium. Final on Sunday. But tomorrow, the excitement of the first Swedish Melodifestivalen heat! My Swedish friend, who I am joining in Stockholm in four weeks for the final, has said that the Swedish press are going mad about it this year; "The countdown is massive in the media," he texted to me this week, "The Swedes and press don't care about the olympics. I totally love this hysteria! Can't wait."

Imagine that! Living in a country where people are not excited about the Winter Olympics! I know, I just can't...oh yeah. But remember, this is Sweden. We're talking different levels of expectation here...

I'm off to Warwick for the weekend, to retrieve several years' copies of Smash Hits! from my mother's attic - it seems an opportune time - and to research a suspicious death (not in my mother's attic). All will be revealed in good time. Have a good weekend.

· link

Home