World of Chig   

5.1.06
Not George, but George.

23:15 Oh Channel 4, you are really spoiling us! What a marvellous selection of people you have secured for Celebrity Big Brother. My disappointment at the absence of Boy George is more than made up for by the fabulous mix of gobshites, crossdressers, damaged lives and totty (Preston, obviously) who have gone in there. I'm staying in for the next three weeks.

Ordinary Boy Preston: tattooed totty. No, this is not a modelling shoot for Top Man.

I like the Ordinary Boys, and I've liked Preston when I've seen them performing on TV. He seems like a nice guy, and you just know that his tattooed working classness would have been right up Boy George's alley, so to speak, so there's an opportunity missed for an interesting interpersonal dynamic, but I think we have enough to be going on with, thank you very much. (Preston has left a message for fans on the Ordinary Boys' website, which says it crashed earlier, with 50,000 visitors in two minutes.) Aaah, he's looking really cute wearing glasses in the house now too.

The moment I saw George Galloway MP being unveiled, despite the fact that it had been leaked on Radio 1 this afternoon (from a list which they had which has turned out, I think, to be completely accurate), I still found myself thinking, 'how can an MP spare the time?'. Presumably he'll walk early once he feels he's got his message across. Or will he? Diamond Geezer, one of his constituents, isn't too thrilled about it, and nor would I be, if it were my MP, with Parliament reassembling next week.

My phone rang as soon as Celebrity Big Brother finished. To my surprise, it wasn't a friend, but my 65 year old Dad, ringing to ask if I was watching C4 and to say "What a fantastic mix of people." MY DAD!! Channel 4 must be doing something right. He's also as disappointed as I am that Dermot's BBLB is now going to be in the mornings at 8am, with no evening or late night repeat. Although I can think of advantages to watching Dermot in bed first thing in the morning, that's a crap time to have the programme on. Sort it out, Channel 4. We want it in the evenings.

Oh, and Channel 4 might also want to repaint that wall in the gym, which set off my Lynne Truss alarm. The designers have made a stupid mistake, in BIG, BOLD letters. It says 'EAT LESS PIES'. Oh dear. What is a 'less pie'? Is it like a meat pie? Where do you buy this stuff called 'less' that goes in the pies?

It's 'EAT FEWER PIES', you idiots!

PS. I've had to sing 'You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)' down the phone to my Dad, so that he knows who Pete Burns is.

PPS. With hindsight, there's a really funny quote on this website's biography of the Ordinary Boys. It says, "The Ordinary Boys rise above the trivialities of a Big Brother world." In fact, it seems Preston is in the Big Brother house because he said in an interview that he would like to be, and the producers saw it.


· link

Home