World of Chig   

9.9.05
The Carnival Is Over

Well, almost. This weekend sees the end of the unofficially declared Pride and Mardi Gras season, which starts with Birmingham in late May. But we're ending on a good one. Hello Cardiff! (As Nicki French- who announced me ON STAGE at Oxford Pride as her stalker - will undoubtedly be saying when she appears again this weekend. I'm not really sure who's stalking who, to be honest. I swear she followed me to Leicester, Oxford and Bristol...) Hmm, I had forgotten about this though. (Read this from Mike if you're unfamiliar with the atmosphere of local Pride events. It makes me laugh every time.)

Cardiff-Wales Mardi Gras is now in its seventh year, and this is a major year for Cardiff because the city is celebrating its centenary AND fifty years as the Welsh capital. Mardi Gras has been absolutely brilliant there for the last two years when I've attended, and I've made friends there who I'm looking forward to seeing again this weekend, plus related friends from Bristol and Reading. Two years ago, I was in the Marriott, courtesy of the Wales Tourist Board. Last year, by way of contrast, I was camping in Penarth for the weekend, which, although fun in itself (and it was gloriously hot last year), stopped me getting drunk as I had to drive back to the campsite both nights. So, I've learnt my lesson, and this weekend will be a combination of the two; camping tonight and then a four star hotel by Cardiff Castle for Saturday and Sunday nights. Last year, because the weather was so good, we were dancing on the streets until closing time on the Sunday night too, so this year I've finally, hopefully, got it right by not going home (which I did on the Sunday in 2003) and not having to drive to my accommodation either.

On Saturday morning, there's a gay rugby tournament taking place at Blackweir Fields, before the main Mardi Gras event. Both Cardiff and Bristol now have gay rugby teams, and one of my friends plays for Cardiff Lions. They beat Bristol Bisons 24-15 two weeks ago at Bristol Mardi Gras. (You can see some of the rugger buggers in my flickr photos - click the photo link in the sidebar. Some of the pictures were too rude to be seen in public. There's really not much difference between gay and straight rugby players! There's a mix in some, if not all, of the teams anyway.)

This weekend, the Lions and the Bisons will be joined by gay teams from the Netherlands, Sweden, Manchester, and possibly Edinburgh and Dublin, for a series of shorter games on Saturday. Later on, the Cardiff boys will be, er, revealing their own version of the saucy Dieux du Stade calendar. Yes, it's rugby boys in the buff, Welsh stylee. Modesty forbids me from mentioning who suggested to a certain member of the team last year that they should do this, but it should be interesting to see. My mate John is Mr July. Make up your own jokes about oddly shaped balls.

I see Bjorn Again are on the main stage on Saturday. That's two Abba connections in consecutive posts on here. Last year we had Charlotte Church. I'm guessing she'll be too busy (drinking) this time around, but you never know.

See you in Cardiff! (Or not, if you're not going, obviously.)


· link

Home