World of Chig   

29.7.05
Tornado

Left: Ladypool Road, Balsall Heath: Entire roof missing, fire engine and ominous sky.

23:50. Just got in, after cycling around Balsall Heath, Moseley and King's Heath this evening (and then dropping in at a friend's for a cuppa, which ended up with me being fed - thanks Beckster Senior!)

The devastation caused by this afternoon's tornado is far, far worse than I thought. There are numerous road closures still in force overnight. There are streets, including Ladypool Road, where some people will not be able to access their homes, businesses and cars for "several days" according to a police officer. Ladypool Road has been avacuated because of the danger of collapsing buildings and gas leaks. The policeman told me that some buildings might have to be pulled down, including a pub and a block of flats. The park on my road has so many fallen trees I couldn't even count them. This is about 100m from my house, and I realise now how lucky I have been. Having said that, there's something sticking out from a gable at the back, so I think I may have some loose roof tiles. I'll have to examine it from a distance in daylight tomorrow.

Left: Forest Road, Moseley: Fence down, tree fallen on house, roof tiles missing.

In Moseley, Forest Road in particular is devastated. There's a clue in the name - it has a lot of trees, but many of the larger ones were felled in a storm a couple of years ago, leaving me totally unprepared for the mess that greeted me there this evening. Hardly a house in the road doesn't have tiles missing and there are leaves, branches and whole trees all over the place, plus damage to some of the beautiful houses up there (and some of the not-so-beautiful ones too). This blogger has some photos of Moseley here, from earlier in the day.

Left: High Street, King's Heath: Road closure to allow for work to be done on damaged buildings and trees.

I've taken loads of photos tonight. I'll put them on here tomorrow. This is just a sample for now, one each from Balsall Heath, Moseley and King's Heath.


· link

Home