World of Chig   

11.5.05
Kyiv -2

...and it's all working out okay. "The chicken has landed in Kyiv." That was the text message I received at lunchtime today from the advance party, in the shape of my soon-to-be flatmate Andrew. In a strange twist of fate, it wasn't in Kyiv where he was challenged over not having a visa, but at Amsterdam airport's transfer desk. They asked where his visa for Ukraine was, and he had to explain to them that the visa requirement has been waived. Shocking.

Andrew will be reporting for Keith's All Kinds Of Everything website, and you can see his profile here.

I shouldn't have been such a pessimist. There was a man waiting for Andrew at the airport, as promised, to take him to the apartment, which does exist after all. "It's actually fine - two rooms, with amenities," he texted, before adding, "I don't believe it - we seem to be a few minutes walk from Sports Palace." Hurrah! We won't have to rely on public transport, negotiate with taxi drivers, or spend money. Hurrah again!

The weather in Kyiv "was dull and wet, but now it's sunny" at 15:25 today. We also have two sets of keys for the flat, which is a relief. I thought they might make us share one. I feel much better about things now, and I can't sit here writing any more. I have stuff to do!


· link

Home