World of Chig   

7.4.05

Amongst all the coverage of yesterday's election announcement (and the 24 hour delay of the announcement which everyone knew about anyway), I haven't seen any mention of the real reason why Tony Blair chose 5th May. I don't remember the lead-up to any other general election in my lifetime where there has been so much agreement, so far in advance, around what the date would be, or where all the speculation, for once, turned out to be correct. I heard on the radio last month about one book, published in 2002, (possibly this one) which even has 5th May 2005 in print as the forecast date of the next election, which is quite impressive.

However, it's not the coincidence with the council elections which has led Blair to this date. It's not even because he likes the thought of it being on 05/05/05 (although that's both noteworthy and memorable). It's because he wants to wake up on Friday, 6th May and think, 'it's my birthday, and I'm still the f*cking Prime Minister!' Perhaps Chig is more aware of this because my birthday is also 6th May! Consequently, I've already had the post-election day booked off work since January, so I'll be able to sleep through most of my birthday, after staying up until dawn with Dimbleby, as I usually do, with my maps and lists of MPs (and t'internet too this time, I guess). Chig loves elections. Chig also loves birthdays. Chig loves the May Bank Holiday (Monday 2nd). Chig loves only working three days in one week. Hurrah! It's going to be a great week.

So, Chig's birthday, one month today. Just in case I hadn't made that clear. I'll have this book and this CD please. (Out just in time!) Like you had to ask....


· link

Home