World of Chig   

28.4.05
Blatant self-publicity...and a little bit of politics

The May issue of gaytimes hits the shops officially today (although some shops have had it since last Friday). It's a 'physique photography special' and I think the naked Chig centrefold has come out rather well, if you remove the staples carefully. No, stop! Come back! There's no naked Chigness, but this issue does contain Chig's interview with Ruslana, last year's Eurovision winner. There are also some cheeky mini-reviews of a few of this year's Eurovision songs, and (oh god, did I really?) some predictions, which you can laugh at on 22nd May. (Actually, I've hedged my bets in gaytimes, still stinging from my 2001 prediction in the same magazine that Friends would win for Sweden. They came 5th. In real life though, I have already placed three pounds each way on Hungary at 14/1, which will give me about £80 when they make the top 4 in Kyiv.)

It doesn't stop there. This is the Chig takeover issue. Much as I hate blowing my own trumpet, this is the first time in the 7 or 8 years since I started writing occasionally for gaytimes that I've had two unrelated articles in the same issue, for it also includes a four page interview that I did with Upton, the Entertainments Manager of Birmingham's Nightingale club. I'm quite proud to say I did all the photos on that one too.

Your feedback is more than welcome. That's not me on the cover. I know you were about to ask.





It's been a bit of a Eurovision and media day today - I've also been interviewed about the contest for a website; it's a kind of internet radio site. (I would use the buzzword 'podcasting' if I actually knew what it meant.) I'll reveal more when the interview's up and running. (No pressure then Jon!) On top of that, my promo copy of this year's Eurovision double album arrived in the post from the lovely people at EMI. Mwah! That's one item to scrub off my list of birthday present demands. (Next Friday, 6th May - have I mentioned it?)


Tonight, I have been to my SECOND election hustings in 48 hours. Does that make me an election anorak? No lesbians were evicted from this one, but it was no less exciting than Monday night's. This was a proper hustings for the candidates in my constituency (Birmingham Sparkbrook & Small Heath). Only three of the seven candidates bothered to turn up; the Conservative (but he had to leave before any real debate), the Green and the Respect candidate. I am now confused. Our Respect candidate was really, really good, and definitely not a 'one issue' candidate. I have warmed to her immensely and I'm now wavering between the Green Party and Respect for my vote next week. I wasn't really considering Respect before.


· link

Home