World of Chig   

6.1.05
Something only we know

Chig has often thought that Radio 1 doing the end-of-year rundowns before the year has actually ended is, to put it bluntly, bloody stupid. I thought as much last Friday, New Year's Eve, as I listened to Hi I'm Wes counting down the so-called singles and albums charts of the year from 4pm. At the same time, thousands of people were out shopping, spending squillions of pounds (in record tokens) on the albums that Santa was too mean to give them and that they couldn't be bothered to download.

I really wish I'd printed off those so-called end of year charts now, but I didn't and the BBC, no doubt embarrassed, has taken the pages down already. (They're still cached in Google though!) The reason? Well, it has now been revealed that the top-selling album in the UK last year was NOT Keane's 'Hopes And Fears', as revealed by the Butters Boy, It was overtaken on the very last day of the year - while he was revealing the pointless chart - by Scissor Sisters. Hurrah! They came up on the rails and outsold Keane by a mere 582 copies over the course of the year. Hurrah again! And well done to Scissor Sisters. Not that Universal care either way, as they have both Keane AND Scissor Sisters!

The BBC (and HMV) had jumped the gun much earlier actually, with this story on the 21st of December. Of course, all this makes it deeply unfashionable to admit any love for Scissor Sisters now. May I be the first to say that I've never liked them anyway.

· link

Home