World of Chig   

3.10.04
On again...off again

Nothing seems to work out the way it's planned for me at the moment, and my broadband experience is proving to be more than a little frustrating. (My new car has been vandalised twice in the last three weeks too, which is going to cost me about two hundred pounds to fix.) Far from being on all the time, my broadband modem keeps dropping the connection and I have to dial up again. This always needs doing twice, as the first attempt only lasts about ten seconds before dropping again. Worse than this though, it's completely hit and miss whether the broadband modem is ready to go on line at all (ie. with two solid green lights on). Some days, it just doesn't respond. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the broadband software about ten times in the last week, as that's the only thing that gets it going again, but it's completely random whether or not it works. (Three attempts tonight, for example.) I spent some time on the phone last week to a very helpful guy at Wanadoo's customer support centre. He's sending me a new modem, just in case the one I have has a loose connection or something. I'm rather more worried that it's something to do with some vile infection that I keep seeing on my PC; a mischievous program that keeps reinstalling itself and producing a pop-up that says 'Please select your country', with a drop-down menu. I have steadfastly refused to click on it, except for the red cross, which does nothing, and fails to delete it. As I write now, there are eleven versions of this at the bottom of the screen, which won't go away until I reboot. They are linked to an .exe file which keeps reinstalling itself in the C:/ drive, with a numerical name. Even though I've deleted it from there AND from the recycle bin, then rebooted, it keeps coming back. I have anti-virus software AND a firewall AND MS Servicepack 2 AND Ad-Aware, which I've been running almost hourly, so how the f*ck is it still infecting my machine, and how do I get rid of it? Any help gratefully accepted...

· link

Home