World of Chig   

6.4.04
Your favourite ABBA tracks

Thanks to everyone who submitted their top ten ABBA tracks. It was bloody difficult, wasn't it? I realised this when I tried to compile my own, with the realisation that my top ten actually stretched to about 25 tracks. The seventeen people who took part in this incredibly small, unscientific, self-selecting survey managed to nominate a hefty 56 different tracks, including some which I had never heard of, so thank you for that too. Everything which scored even one point is included, so even if one person put a track at number 10, and no one else mentioned it, it's here at the bottom of the chart. Democracy in action. How Swedish...

#31 Eagle
The first track on ‘ABBA – The Album’, from 1977.

#32 I Am The City

#33 Chiquitita
Track 8 on ‘Voulez-Vous?’ and ABBA’s 13th UK hit single, reaching #2 in February 1979, where it sat patiently for a fortnight, behind Blondie’s Heart Of Glass holding tight at #1. I have never been able to take this song seriously since it was out, as Terry Wogan used to call it ‘Take Your Teeth Out’ and that disturbing image has stuck ever since.

#34= Gonna Sing You My Love Song
#34= Put On Your White Sombrero


#36= The King Has Lost His Crown
Track five on Voulez-Vous? from 1979, but never a UK single.
#36= The Piper
#36= Voulez-vous?

The second track on the - guess what? - Voulez-Vous? album from 1979.

#39 Does Your Mother Know?
Track six on the ‘Voulez-Vous?’ album and ABBA’s 14th hit single in the UK, making #4 in May 1979. A complete chance of pace and style after the last single, Chiquitita. Also covered brilliantly by Ash, many years later. I recommend tracking it down.

#40= I Wonder
#40= Kisses Of Fire

The final track on ‘Voulez-Vous?’, but never a UK single.
#40= Soldiers

#43= I Do, I Do, I Do
#43= Intermezzo No.1
#43= Just Like That
#43= Move On

Track five on 1977’s ‘ABBA – The Album’.

#47 Should I Laugh Or Cry?

#48= Andante, Andante
#48= Jump Down Pick A Bail Of Cotton
#48= When I Kissed The Teacher

The opening track on the ‘Arrival’ album and only figuring in this survey because of votes from a teacher, which is slightly disturbing. Moving swiftly on…

#51 Slipping Through My Fingers

#52= Bang-A-Boomerang
#52= Dance (While The Music Still Goes On)
#52= Disillusion

Track three on the ‘Ring, Ring’ album.
#52= The Way Old Friends Do
#52= What About Livingstone?

From the Waterloo album.

· link

Home