World of Chig   

7.4.04
Your favourite ABBA tracks: 21-30

Ooh, I'm such a tease. Here are the next ten. The top twenty will be revealed after the weekend, as I'm zipping around the country from tomorrow until Monday. Starting off tomorrow night at the Retro Bar in London's Charing Cross, where punters at the monthly 'Douze Points' Eurovision night will be watching all 36 videos of this year's Eurovision entries and voting on them! Hurrah! Another vote! Last year's Retro Bar favourite was Latvia's 'Hello From Mars' by F.L.Y. which I was overjoyed about as it was my own favourite too. I took this as an indicator that it would be really successful in last year's Eurovision. In the end, it scored 5 points from neighbouring Estonia and bugger all from anybody else. My pointless prediction for tomorrow is that Iceland and Spain will do really well. I've received my copy of the videos in the post today, and Spain's young man is so full of sexual energy that I am now off to watch the video again. Ay caramba!

Friday I will be loitering around the pubs and pizza restaurants of Finsbury Park. Saturday night I will be resting in a Derbyshire village before being a Wild Boy on Sunday seeing Duran Duran (and Goldfrapp) in Nottingham, followed, quite possibly, by some drunken behaviour in the fleshpots of Nottingham. Monday, I'm coming home for a break after all that activity.
In the meantime, occupy yourselves with ABBA's next ten, and rejoice in the fact that last night they ruled out ever performing together again. Ever, ever, ever...

#21 Waterloo
The one that started it all off, unless you're Swedish, in which case you'd been aware of them for years, individually as well as together.

#22 Angeleyes
Coupled with 'Voulez-vous?' for ABBA's only double A-side release in the UK. Number 3 in July 1979.

#23 Ring, Ring
The follow-up to Waterloo, but it didn't exactly set the UK on fire, reaching only #32.

#24 Another Town, Another Train
Track two on the 'Ring, Ring' album from 1973, but never a UK single.

#25 Our Last Summer
#26= Summer Night City
Note the coincidental juxtaposition of these two Summer-themed songs. The latter track made a disappointing #5, after three consecutive #1s, in September 1978.

#26= On And On And On
How this countdown is in danger of dragging.

#28 Hey, Hey Helen
Pretty sure this was a B-side to one of my early vinyl purchases, so it must have been 'Fernando' (single number 1 in my vinyl collection) or possibly 'Money, Money, Money'.

#29 Honey, Honey
From the Waterloo album, but never a UK single.

#30 Fernando
From March 1976, ABBA's 6th UK hit single and their 3rd UK chart-topper.

· link

Home