World of Chig   

20.4.04
Foxy's progress

Our Eurovision entry was released yesterday in the UK. It's available in two different versions, and I knew this before I went to seek it out in the local Asda. Despite this, I could only see one version on the shelves. That's because the marketing monkeys at Sony have decided to scupper James Fox's chances by making the sleeves look almost the same, thereby actively discouraging casual buyers from picking up, and buying, both. You have to look really hard to realise that the sleeves for Hold On To Our Love (or Hold Onto Our Love, as Sony have decided to call it), have different coloured lettering. Apart from that, they're the same, with the same photo. Doh! I refuse to believe that with someone as photogenic as James, they couldn't find TWO pictures to put on the sleeve, or just use a close-up of the one picture on CD2, as many other artists do. Jeez, I have taken good pictures of him myself which I would gladly have handed over.

This is the earliest before Eurovision that the UK single has been released for many years, so it will be interesting to see how it does away from the contest. Despite the 'unmarketing' strategy, James is at #12 on first day sales. (Jemini's disaster made a healthy #15 the week after Eurovision last year, before dropping like a stone.) Watch this space.

· link

Home