World of Chig   

22.8.03
Remembrance: 22 August 1920 - 10 December 2002



It's a sad, poignant day for me today, as it's the first time my Gran hasn't been around on what would have been her birthday. She would have been 83 today, but she died suddenly in December. I haven't written anything about her since that day, so I thought I would write a little about her interesting life as a tribute when her birthday came around, but to be honest, it's still too upsetting, so the cathartic bit will have to wait.

The picture on the left is the last picture I have of my Gran, taken on my birthday last year when she came over with my Mum for a pub lunch. The middle one is taken sitting on the war memorial in the Warwickshire village where she grew up. We scattered my Grandad's ashes at the war memorial in 2000, and ended up doing the same things with my Gran's last December. The last picture is from a family photo taken about 1989.

Part of what I wrote yesterday (in answer to one of Mike's questions), about living for the moment, and saying things to people while we have the chance, was written because today's anniversary was very much on my mind. None of us ever know what's around the corner. My Gran was fit and healthy, and just about starting to enjoy a new lease of life after two years without my Grandad, but died suddenly and in quite unpleasant circumstances. As happens to so many people, we never had the chance to say goodbye. I used to see my Gran more than any other member of my family; more than either of my parents, more than my sister. I loved her a lot, and there has been a gaping hole in my life since December, especially on Sunday afternoons. That's when I would usually see her for a cup of tea and some of her wonderful cakes, and we would sit and chat. I really miss her.

· link

Home