World of Chig   

21.8.03

5. What would be the theme tune to your life?

Hmmm, let me think…..[Mentally runs through the cliched answers; ‘I Am What I Am’, ‘My Way’, ‘This Is My Life’ (the Bassey one, not the Eartha Kitt one) etc. Swerves slightly towards the less obvious but still all-encompassing answer; ‘A Life Of Surprises’ (Prefab Sprout), via the once autobiographical but ultimately too tragic answers; ‘Smalltown Boy’, Soft Cell’s ‘Where The Heart Is’ and P!nk’s ‘Family Portrait’.]
Are we talking about the theme tune to the END of my life? If so, it would amuse me greatly if, as my coffin trundled towards the flames, the curtains slowly closed to the thirty seconds of music that they play during the thinking time on Countdown. Everyone at my funeral could make ‘clock’ movements with their hands, and it would be a bit like the Steps video for ‘Tragedy’, with the curtains closing on the final ‘Duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duh-duh-duh. Poo!’ Classy, huh? But a fitting comment on the triviality and long term insignificance of my life.
I haven’t really answered the question, have I? That’s because I can’t think of one single tune which sums up the diversity of my life. My desert island single would be ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, simply because it is so many songs in one, but I’m not going to pretend it’s lyrically appropriate to sum up my life!

· link

Home