World of Chig   

18.6.03
Happy birthday to these three!


It's my Mum's 60th birthday today. That's her on the right. She was born on Paul McCartney's first birthday. We've known for years that they shared a birthday, but I've never known of any famous person who was born on the exact same day as my Mum; 18th June 1943. Until now! I present to you, on the left, Raffaella Carra! Now I'm sure Luca and most other Italians know very well who she is, but non-pop trivia fans in the UK may need a reminder. To us, she is one of those spectacular one hit wonders, but oh, what a sublime hit it was! Raffaella made number 9 in April 1978 with the wonderful 'Do It Do It Again'. You know the one; "Do it, do it again, do it do it again with love. Holding, holding, holding back. Never mind if it doesn't last..." That one. Marvellous. A bit of net trawling tells me that she's much more famous in Italy, with many more hits to her name. She also seems to be a TV presenter, and still pretty glamorous. So, happy 60th birthday to Mum and Raffaella, happy 61st to Sir Macca! And if anyone can find an MP3 of Do It Do It Again, could you let me know (via the Contact Me link on the left)? I can't find it anywhere, and it would be good to play at Mum's party on Friday. Thanks.

My Mum's birthday treat from me and my sister is to come over to Brum for the matinee performance of Miss Saigon this afternoon at the Hippodrome and then go for a meal. I have been reacquainting myself with the music from Miss Saigon, from a tape which has remained unplayed in a box for ten years or so. I've never actually seen the show, and I've decided it's not one of my favourite musicals. It seems far less immediate than most, with a more operatic flow to it and not so many verse-chorus-verse 'songs'. Still, I'm told the production here is brilliant. I have fond memories of the London production of Miss Saigon, but it's for an entirely spurious reason. About 13 or 14 years ago, I copped off at a friend's party with a really cute bloke. His job? He lowered the helicopter on stage for Miss Saigon. It's not every day you meet someone with a job like that.

On Friday, Mum has organised a barn dance for herself and 70 other people. I was left in charge of organising the rest of the music for the evening, about which she knows nothing. So, I compiled a list of her favourite songs, including her top ten number ones from our 50 Number Ones Project last year. The wonderful Mike has lovingly burnt them onto a CDR, in chronological order, which has arrived this morning. I have just played it and come over all emotional, as it's the soundtrack of my Mum's life, from Pat Boone to Westlife, with everything from The Beatles, The Honeycombs, Jennifer Rush, Bruce Springsteen and, er, Fiddler's Dram in between. (When I was 13, I bought my Mum Day Trip To Bangor on 7 inch single for Christmas. I've no idea why.) Thank you Mike - it will make her night. I have also bought one of those birthday cards which has a CD of 1943 music in it. That's the music everyone will be hearing as they arrive at the party. It's great! Now, if I can get drunk enough on Friday to enjoy the barn dancing, it should be good fun. Must go now, theatre awaits, daaahlinks!

· link

Home