World of Chig   

20.5.03
News from rehearsals

I live in fear that any of the songs I really like this year are going to be ruined by distracting on-stage antics, and now it looks like two good songs might be going that way. I'm watching Romania's rehearsal right now on the giant screen (from the Media Centre), and it doesn't look like I imagined it would. There are dancers in brightly coloured costumes (possibly relating to the Romanian flag - there's reflection on the screen, so I can't see properly) holding coloured discs as they cavort around. It's lost on me. Marcus and Russell have just told me it involves the male and female dancers stripping off, five times for the woman, but revealing other costumes underneath 'Something spangly', said Russell. Oh dear, are they trying to imitate last year's Latvian winner, by any chance? The song's good enough to stand up on its own. Stop messing about.

More worryingly, my second fave song, Ukraine, had a rehearsal this morning on which people have reported back very favourably. (I was in the UK's press conference, so didn't see it. I may be industrious, but being in two places at once I haven't yet mastered.) However, the act wasn't complete, for there is going to be a snake woman involved. Once again, the song is brilliant, and stands a chance of winning. Olexandr's voice, as demonstrated again when he sang a Ukranian song in today's conference, is absolutely stunning. (You can tell that from the operatic intro to Hasta La Vista anyway.) We really don't need snakes. Why do these countries take something good and then think that they have to throw the kitchen sink at it? Oh, Latvia last year. There's your answer again. On a more serious note, if it really is a live snake, you'll be likely to find me with a placard protesting in the hall. I think using animals in live stage acts is unneccessary and cruel. I remember how sickening it was seeing Britney Spears at one of the music awards shows with a snack round her neck and tigers caged behind her. On stage, bright lights and pyrotechnic explosions. I just wanted the snake to strangle Britney and for someone to set the tigers free. There's no need to subject them to that. Rant over. Those lovely Swedes and their bland Europop offering are on now. I met Magnus last night at the official Latvian reception, and he was utterly charming.

· link

Home