World of Chig   

21.5.03
Chig - prize pillock

So, what the heck am I doing in the Skonto Halle at 10am, when the second round of rehearsals starts much later today, at 11am? Well, I made an extra effort to get up, as I was booked on a sightseeing tour for this morning. A coach trip around Riga, followed by a walking tour of the Old Town. I did a similar thing with Roy in Tallinn last year, and it was delightful, involving free alcohol too. This year, they've made us pay for the trips too, so I paid my 15 Euros a month ago, and I was determined to make it. I got to bed about 3am after the Euroclub (in the Voodoo Club in Reval Hotel Latvija), but still woke up at 7.30 today, an hour before my alarm. I managed to get up at 8.30, wash some clothes (we're travelling light this time) and have breakfast. That's three hotel breakfasts in a row - already more than I managed in Tallinn. (I only missed the first day's, after goingout until 5am.) I even managed to get to the bank to change some travellers' cheques, and then walked the 15 minutes here to Skonto Halle, arriving just in time for the 10am tour. And guess what? It doesn't leave from here - it leaves from a hotel in the Old Town, which would have been a 15 minute walk 90 degrees in another direction. Doh! Actually, I did have a feeling that might be the case, but when I thought that last night, it was too late to check. Oh well, all is not lost. The lovely woman from Latvia Tours said there are loads of people who have cancelled or moved dates, so I'm moving my trip to tomorrow. The reason I was going today was because I didn't want to miss the UK's rehearsals and conferences, yesterday and tomoorw. Now though, I'm not bothered. I've heard Cry Baby enough times for one lifetime. I've given my moral support by sitting at the front of their conference yesterday in my Union Jack t-shirt (for which I was thanked). I even refrained from asking any awkward questions, such as 'how does it feel to be the first UK entry in years which is not amongst the bookies' favourites?'. I've done my bit. They'll have to manage without me.

· link

Home