World of Chig   

28.5.03
Chig - as seen by millions!

This year's postcards for Eurovision were all filmed during last week, in various parts of Latvia. (The postcards are the bits just before each song, shown on screen while techies change the set on stage. Some of us had discussed the fact that, as many of the postcards were filmed in the media centre, or at parties, there was a chance some of us would be in them, and this has proved to be the case. I didn't even need to get home and check the video before Mike had left me a message to say that I am in the postcard for Germany, and indeed I am! There are shots of just me, taking pictures of orange-haired Lou, by what our hosts always referred to as 'the official wallpaper'. (It was a red cityscape of Riga.) Okay, so the whole thing is about two frames, then a frame away, then another frame, but if you watch it on 'slow', it's very clear. I'm the one with the camera and the purple zip-up top. (The one that's featured in so many of my photos, as I only had one jumper and it was sometimes cold in the cavernous Media Centre.) So, my face had been seen by half a billion people on TV, even if they don't know it. Wow! And as we know, subliminal advertising had to be banned on TV and in cinemas, because it worked. So, for the rest of my life, if people come up to me and say 'I'm sure I've seen you before', I shall say ' Did you watch Eurovision in 2003?' If they say yes, I'll say, 'Well, I was in that.' Hurrah!

· link

Home