World of Chig   

8.5.03

26 Slovenia – Nanana – Karmen
“He sang to me ‘nananana’, so naturally it set my heart on fire’. Good Lord love, you’re easily pleased, aren’t you? However, there’s a refreshing honesty in that title, isn’t there? It does what it says on the tin. And yet, at the same time, it’s a bit crap. This song was called ‘Nanana’ originally, but then changed to ‘Lep Poletni Dan’ just before the EMA (Slovenia’s national final), but now it’s back to ‘Nanana’ again. They are clearly hoping to emulate the success of Spain’s winning ‘La La La’ from 1968.

I’ve already written in great length about how unoriginal this song is, but the song it copies came third for Estonia last year, which just proves how popular it could be, (and the song that one copied was R Kelly’s ‘I Believe I Can Fly’). Most people will have forgotten Estonia’s effort by now, so they may consider this a fantastic song. For that reason and with it being performed last, I include this as another potential winner. Mind you, I thought Lithuania’s jolly little ditty would benefit from being last twelve months ago, and they were relegated, so what do I know? Fashion tip for Karmen: don’t wear the baby pink pedal-pushers you wore in the national final. Not a good look. Fact: There are blatantly lingering shots of her breasts in the video.

· link

Home