World of Chig   

8.5.03

21 Latvia – Hello From Mars – F.L.Y.
My favourite by far this year. The only problem I have with this is that it was one of the first two songs to be publicly revealed, so I’ve felt nothing else has quite matched up, but that’s not Latvia’s fault. Three popular solo singers from Latvia teamed up specially just to do this song, and I’m so glad that Martins, Lauris and Yana did (although I haven't quite worked out why they're not called M.L.Y instead). Maybe this wouldn’t be a winner away from home turf, but the late placing of this in the draw will ensure an atmosphere which should raise the roof of the Skonto Hall in the same way that Estonia’s debut home reception gave me goosebumps last year. If this comes across visually as twee, they’ll blow it, but if it comes across as a jolly, and ever so slightly mad, pop song about meeting aliens, which is how I perceive it, it could do the Latvian double. The video for this looks great, and so do the trio singing it. They haven’t exactly been beaten by the ugly stick, and are a wonderful advert for Latvian dentistry. One of them looks like he’s the older brother of Matt Littler (Max Cunningham in Hollyoaks.) I may well become these boys’ stalker in Riga. Latvia to win, again.

· link

Home