World of Chig   

3.4.03

Lesbians out!


...or at least t.A.T.u's Eurovision song is! Download Ne ver', ne bojsia here. I have, but can't listen to it yet. How frustrating...

UPDATE: I've heard it now! Just to put this in context, a friend copied the t.A.T.u album for me this week, so I only heard it for the first time on Tuesday night, and instantly fell in love with it. Played it again last night and in the office today, and now love it even more.
Have just played the Eurovision entry, and it sounds perfectly in keeping with the album. It's most similar to 'Not Gonna Get Us'; the next single. Musically, it's a shot in the arm for Eurovision. I can't remember anything sounding so much like a contemporary pop entry apart from Alsou in 2000 (Russia again - they sure do have their finger on the pulse!) This is much harder edged though - will it frighten the grannies? It has an almost techno instrumental section which will allow them to get up to all sorts of shenanigans - like snogging each other. Oh I can't wait! Latvia here I come!

Of course, I do have a personal reason for being pleased about this t.A.T.u hullaballo, as they have now given legitimacy to my media accreditation for Riga. For those who don't know, I write occasionally for a certain lesbian and gay news magazine, which is my raison d'etre for being accredited, but now at last there is a legitimate story to cover. (Even if the lesbianism is just a marketing ploy, it's a very successful one.) Who knows, foreign TV crews may even be after my opinion in Eurovision week, something which hasn't happened since Dana International won in 1998.

Incidentally, the Eurovision rules have now been changed, alllowing entries to be released anywhere prior to the contest, not just in their own country. So, theoretically, there is nothing to stop t.A.T.u releasing their Eurovision entry next month instead. Can you imagine if the song they performed in Riga on 24 May was actually number one all over Europe already? Is that fair? But would it actually help them win anyway, or will all the hype prove counter-productive? We shall see...

· link

Home