World of Chig   

28.4.03

Culture Clash



Bee-ow-tee-ful Brummagem at night loike!

Tonight's the night! Birmingham will stake its claim tonight to be European Capital of Culture in 2008 in tonight's BBC One programme. (How inevitable was it that UB40 would be featured on the Brum page?!) I've voted already. I even have the badge! Fingers crossed. It will be interesting to see if the government takes any notice whatsoever of the BBC vote. I have a feeling that winning the poll could actually blight the winning city's chances, but I don't expect Brum to win the vote anyway, so it may benefit us in the end. My money's on Liverpool to get the final nod. Clearly Jemani (this year's Scouse Eurovision entrant for the UK) are at the forefront of Liverpool culture.

Manchester has made a late bid to be included by installing priceless paintings near to a disused public toilet. Rolled up. In the rain. Haven't quite got the hang of this public art thing, have they?

· link

Home