World of Chig   

30.1.03

Unfit for a queen
This stuff about the Simpsons (no, not those Simpsons) is absolutely fascinating. I recommend clicking on the link to the abdication papers too. It seems that, in the 1930s, being "very good looking...and an excellent dancer" didn't necessarily mean that you were a homosexual. Amazing. And could there be a worse name for someone trying to sell cars than Mr Trundle?

While we're on the subject of old documents, I was given something amazing last night, in my role as our family archivist and historian. We're going through the horrible, emotional process of clearing out my Gran's house so that it can be sold. Last night I was up in the dusty loft, where my Grandad used to have his workshop for making toys. We also used to shoot targets on the beams with Grandad's air rifle. (Bet you didn't realise I was a juvenile sharpshooter, did you?) Anyway, despite finding two old suitcases up there, my high hopes of finding some old family secrets were dashed as they both turned out to be empty. However, my Mum gave me something she'd found in a drawer. It's a printed certificate from the Archdiocese of Worcester for passing some prayer exams, given to my Gran's own Grandfather (my great-great-grandfather). It has his name, Samuel Harbourne, and school written on it by hand, as well as the date; 1870. It feels amazing to have found something that actually belonged to someone from whom I'm directly descended, that's so old. Even though I have copies of Samuel's death and marriage certificates, at 133 years old, this certificate is by far the oldest family heirloom that we have and it just feels amazing to think that my great-great-grandfather actually owned and touched it. I'll scan it one day and show it here.

· link

Home