World of Chig   

31.1.03

I haven't been able to hear the UK's eight Song For Europe until today, but I'm thrilled that some of you have been reviewing them already in the comment box - thank you! So here is Chig's first impression, as heard just now on the radio, in a very busy office where I can't hear them properly!

1) Do Anything For Your Love - Fenix
Intro doesn't grab you, but it launches quickly into the chorus. Sparse verses, but a bit more fleshed out in the chorus. Lyrically okay. Certainly not an ESC winner though.

2) Ever Since That Night - Mimi
Made no impression.

3) First Night - SK
Okay, in a Precious kinda way, but R'n'B lite ain't my kinda thing.

4) Wait For The Moment - Esther Hart
Dreary. No thank you.

5) Cry Baby - Tricity
Sounds perky enough on the radio, but I'm not that excited.

6) Help Me - Emily thingy
Yes, I can appreciate that this is a fine song, waiting to grow on me after a few hearings. Yikes! I never thought I'd be going for the big ballad as my fave at this stage of the competition.

7) Smile
Oh dear, yes, I was involuntarily singing 'Do you believe in life after love?' over the intro.
Someone in the office, who doesn't even know this is a potential Eurovision song, has just starting dancing to it and said "It's that kind of really trashy Europop style, isn't it?" Actually, I would say it's not trashy enough: it's not DJ Romeo (from last year). It IS very repetitive, but it doesn't grab me at all.

8) Rainy Day In Summer
Oh God, what crap. Embarrassing. No way this will get through to the last four.

Overall:
Okay, I believe everybody else now. What a disappointing selection. Hard to believe there were hundreds of songs worse than this. Where was the song that made me go, "Yes! I love this!" Okay, I've only heard them once, but Help Me is the only one that has impressed at all. I'm normally very excited by all this, but at the moment I couldn't really care what gets through. What a shame.

Chig's choice:
Help Me
Cry Baby
Do Anything For Your Love
Smile

Pointless prediction:
Help Me
Cry Baby
Do Anything For Your Love
First Night

· link

Home