World of Chig   

9.11.02



“Left alone with just a memory, life seems dead and so unreal,
All that’s left is loneliness; there’s nothing left to feel.”

#6 You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me – Dusty Springfield


[213] Writers: Pino Donaggio, Vito Pallavicini, Vicki Wickham & Simon Napier-Bell. Producer: Johnny Franz.
31 Mar 66 – 13 weeks on chart – #1 for one week; 28 Apr 66


Told you we weren’t done with 1966. This was Dusty’s only UK #1, and an American #4. Those first seventeen seconds are epic; they sound like the best ending a West End musical never had. The next two and a half minutes are some of the most achingly, heartbreakingly, bittersweet in the history of pop. Dusty gets so worked up, you believe she’s going to explode before the end. Oh, the darama!
There were seemingly a lot of broken-hearted people voting in this project (or perhaps just a lot of drama queens).

I always liked to pretend that this was #1 when I was born, and it would have been if I’d arrived on the predicted day. I was five days late though, and Dusty only hung around at the top for seven days, so she’d been ousted by Manfred Mann’s ‘Pretty Flamingo’ by the time I popped out. I’m sure that hearing Dusty while in the womb had a profound effect on me though, and made me the drama queen I am today.

THERE’S MORE TO COME ON THIS, BUT THE USUAL WEEKEND PROBLEMS WITH BLOGGER MEAN I HAVE TO KEEP IT SHORT FOR NOW.

Jump to the next song.
Jump to the previous song.

· link

Home