World of Chig   

13.11.02

Chig's own top ten number ones


01 Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are The Days Of Our Lives – Queen
- For being several songs in one and my desert island disc if I could only have one.
02 Imagine – John Lennon
- For making me go all tingly and idealistic.
03 Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinéad O’Connor
- For making me cry. I still can't listen to this in public.
04 Don’t You Want Me? – The Human League
- For making me happy during not-so-happy times at school and for being perfect to sing along to when drunk.
05 Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
- For the tingles again and the sheer excitement it produced when it was created.
06 Ashes To Ashes – David Bowie
- For being a bit mad, having a great video, and a rude reason I can't go into....
07 Wuthering Heights – Kate Bush
- For total originality and never getting bored of hearing it.
08 You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) – Dead Or Alive
- For being THE record I came out to, for months and months and months at the end of 1984, and then becoming the uni disco classic when it hit public consciousness in early 1985.
09 Geno – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
- For its energy, originality and great brass sound.
10 Dancing Queen - Abba
- For being a real ecstacy song, long before we'd heard of the other stuff. Never fails to make me feel happy.

And the worst #1?
So many to choose from, but I can slice through the cheese and the smarm and the so-called novelty hits, because in the end they're inconsequential; they don't really matter. What really gets my goat is Oxide & Neutrino's 'Bound 4 Da Reload (Casualty)'. A record with no saving graces whatsoever. It even had to sample a TV theme to give it anything approaching a tune. A record which has a crap title for the text-messaging generation of illiterates that we're bringing up now. And a record which unforgivably tries to turn gun culture into some form of entertainment, and then sells itself, horribly successfully, to the teenage market most easily influenced by such dangerous rubbish. I really wish this record had never existed. Plus, Oxide & Neutrino are better than this too, wish is another tragedy.

· link

Home