World of Chig   

8.8.02

"Won't someone please explain, the reason for this strange behaviour?"


My head hurts. Crystaltipps and I had one of the most bewildering nights ever last night. And it didn't even involve any alcohol. I strongly recommend never, ever seeing Memento and Mulholland Drive on the same night; it's just too much to take in. Being objective though, Memento was, as expected, brilliant. Crystaltipps was seeing it for the second time, and revelling in new things she didn't spot first time around. I really enjoyed it, and the philosophical debate we had on the cinema's doorstep between the two films. Mulholland Drive, I now think in the cold light of day, was a step too far. I'm really intrigued by David Lynch, I was a massive fan of Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet and I'm all for a bit of surrealism, but Mulholland Drive just doesn't go anywhere. And it does that very slowly, with some moments of excruciatingly hammy acting (intentionally, I'm sure). You look back on it and think, '"well what did that scene mean?", "why didn't that man crop up again?", "where the hell did that box come from?" and "why have The Borrowers appeared?". In the end, I felt like a joke had been played on us, and we had wasted two hours of our lives trying to make sense of a film in which there IS no sense, unless you ARE David Lynch, and even then I'm not so sure. The cake was lovely though. A great big doorstep of bread and butter pudding, with a nice coffee. Yum.

· link

Home