World of Chig   

29.7.02

Slave to the wage


Chig is back in the world of regular daytime work. And while I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the prospect of being stuck in an office while it's hot, hot, hot outside, I'm pretty happy about the job itself, and over the moon to be earning some money. (I was beginning to have self-esteem 'issues'. No, seriously.). Today (Monday) is day four and I was given internet access earlier. In marked contrast to my previous call centre job, it's perfectly okay to mess around on the internet, write e-mails, read the paper, play games on screen, eat and drink at your desk etc. It certainly takes some getting used to working in such an easy-going atmosphere. All this is simply because there are times when there's nothing to do. Not great big, long periods of inactivity, but periods in between calls, so it seems fair enough really.
The agency called me last Tuesday. "Would you like some work?" Yes, please. "Do you have a car?" Yes. "Can you start tomorrow?" Yes! And so I had to go into the office, because I'd only dealt with this agency by phone, and e-mailed my CV to them a fortnight before. Unlike some of the others, they don't put you on their books until they find you a job. I found it very strange that I've been employed by them without doing any tests whatsoever, not even the Excel and Word tests that I've done elsewhere, but who am I to complain?

· link

Home