World of Chig   

16.7.02

Pet Shop Boys: The end is nigh?


Going to see them tonight in Nottingham with Mike, who has compiled his top 20 list of PSB songs today. I popped into town this afternoon and bought all three versions of the new single, I Get Along, to stick in the lovely little box that Neil and Chris sent me last week, in which to keep them all. (Of course I don't believe it was their record company's marketing agency; Neil and Chris sit in Chris's designer flat stuffing CD covers into envelopes. Please don't destroy my fantasy.) As usual, I checked out the Woolworth's 'prediction' top 40, to see where I Get Along is predicted to enter the chart on Sunday, and IT'S NOT IN THEIR TOP 40! Not only does this mean Woolies don't EXPECT it to do very well, it means THEY AREN'T EVEN SELLING IT, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, as they are the nation's biggest singles retailer. It's a disaster. Expect a very lowly new entry on Sunday. Which is a real shame, because one of the extra tracks, Between Two Islands, is absolutely brilliant. Gig review tomorrow. From Mike, I expect.

· link

Home