World of Chig   

15.6.02

No one ever said it was gonna be easy...


[15.15] ...but it was! Shockingly so. I admit to feeling complacent that we would beat the Danes, but 3-0 by half-time? We thought we were dreaming. Still I imagined Denmark would pull back three miracle goals, and then beat us with a golden goal in extra time, but it was not to be. The atmosphere in Patrick Kavanagh's was just brilliant - really friendly and chatty, not at all like the testosterone-filled atmosphere of The Newt, where I watched the England/Argentina game. Moseley people are just so much more chilled. Where else would you end up chatting to a friendly rasta guy who told us he was Irish, while watching England play Denmark? Moseley's just so cosmopolitan. Managed to down only three pints of Grolsch, but feeling a bit pissed as a result. I walked home, leaving my car outside Cooperman's until god knows when. Cooperman and MCFC Dave were being complete wimps (or 'poufs', as I called them) after heavy drinking nights last night, and were on lemonade. Their two women friends, who accompanied us to the pub, didn't even stand with us; they had Diet Cokes and sat in the corridor. I predicted we would win 1-0. Cooperman said 2-0, and MCFC Dave said 2-1. We were all wrong! What I'm hoping now is that Belgium surprise us all and knock out Brazil, as I'm sure we have a better chance of beating the Belgians. Cooperman thinks we can beat Brazil anyway. I'm not so sure, but at least they showed in their exciting game with Costa Rica that they are vulnerable and can let in two goals in a game.

· link

Home