World of Chig   

24.5.02

Hello Riga!


(2.10am) A new country winning again, a decisive final vote from the final country, and a type of song which hasn't won Eurovision before, all means I'm happy with that result. Of course I knew all along.... (cough, splutter). But seriously, it wasn't a complete surprise to people who saw the rehearsals (which I didn't).

Latvia did of course have the sexiest male dancer, and I'm sure that helped, as did the reprise clip, which featured HIM rather a lot compared to Marie.
My new friend Russell summed it all up as we left the arena tonight, "More Eastern European men." Roll on Riga 2003. I'm happy. It's also some justice for Brainstorm's near miss in 2000.

I am also completely sober. My friends have all gone in search of dancing and men, after all six of us managed to get good tickets for fifty pounds each this afternoon, with about two hours to spare. So they didn't watch it in the town square, but we experienced the atmosphere building up there this afternoon, which was brilliant. And I didn't watch it on the press centre screens either. Funny how plans change. I've seen the full show all FOUR times in the last 48 hours, and it's been brilliant.

I am amazed and thrilled that the UK came third. Jessica has done us proud. We've doubtlessly been helped by the countries who voted with juries, not televoting, and we beat France and tied with the hosts. Estonia don't have the expense of hosting again. Everybody's happy.

Goodbye from Tallinn. It's been an amazing week, with some amazing experiences. I've met some fantastic people, including a few who I'll be seeing again. My friends came over for 48 hours, so all in all it's been a wonderful experience in a fascinating, beautiful city.

· link

Home