World of Chig   

27.5.02

Back Home


(20.45) Arrived back home at 16.30 today, and guess what I did? I dropped my suitcase and bag on the floor (which wasn't hard, as I'd been dropping the case many times since Heathrow last night and leaving my friends' flat this lunchtime, overladen as it is with Eurovision CDs and promotional press packs). I rewound the video of Eurovision and watched the whole thing. Wogan annoyed me right from the start, by actually talking over the voices of the introduction. The man is so ignorant. I thought Estonia's TV production of the event was superb, and a definite improvement on the Danish show last year. Having said that, a few hearts must have sunk during the first song, and Cyprus probably complained afterwards, when the postcard for song two briefly appeared on screen during song one by One. The vision mixer was probably taken outside by the former KGB security guards, as I didn't notice any other horrendous errors.

There will be quite a bit more on Eurovision on here in the next week. Oh yes, you haven't escaped yet. And just wait for the photos. Tonight though, I have to do some work to earn me some money from the event, and on Wednesday I go to London to see Mull Historical Society's gig, so there may be a short delay.

And in the meantime, my travel agent friend Robert, one of the group of nine friends who came out to Tallinn for the weekend, was planning to be busy today holding flight bookings to Latvia and reserving hotels on likely dates next year. Organised? You bet we are! It just so happens that the Lonely Planet Guide I bought for Estonia covers Latvia and Lithuania too, so I've saved money already! "I Wanna" see you in Riga! That's if Riga can manage to hold it, as word is they don't have a venue bigger than 2,000 capacity, and that we may be back in Saku Suurhall again. But would Latvian national pride stand for that? Estonian people would also need to be assured that not an EEK of their money was being spent on it too. Latvia's 3rd placed Brainstorm said in their Stockholm 2000 press conferences that Riga was ready, but Marie N, in her 1.30am press conference yesterday after her win, which I attended, joked, "They are starting to build something now." Maybe that wasn't such a joke after all? Who knows?....

· link

Home