World of Chig   

24.4.02

Parklife


I decided to go to Cannon Hill Park yesterday, about 6pm, as I was going slightly mad, having been in the house all day when it was obviously sunny outside. (My problem is that the house is always in the shade from lunchtime, so if it's sunny outside, I feel I'm missing out.) Anyway, I drove down to the park - not feeling energetic enough to cycle, as I did many times last Summer - and I'm glad I did. First of all, my favourite ex-barman from our local trendy bar was there, playing football with - gasp! - his shirt off. While watching him avidly and pretending to read some leaflets from the MAC, I noticed a bloke in the background carrying a camera with a HUGE telephoto lens. I laughed to myself and felt pleased to see that I'm not the only pervert who lurks in the park with a camera when the sun comes out. A minute later, the photographer came over and asked if he could take my photo for the Birmingham Post. I laughed. He said he's been sent out to take a few 'weather pictures' because the weather had turned nice. (And indeed it had; the park was really busy, with lots of people catching the last rays on the main green by the lake.) Then he said, "I only want to take pictures of your feet, so don't worry about being recognised." My first thought was 'yuk'. I'm not a big fan of feet at the best of times, and I certainly don't consider mine to be my best asset, (although I'd be hard pressed to say what is.) He wrote down my name and then moved me a few metres, asked me to take my shoes and socks off and lie on my back (oo-er!) with my feet crossed. He lay down and took pictures of the soles of my feet. Crossed. Uncrossed. Lying down. Sitting up slightly. God knows what all the other people thought we were doing - Ididn't dare look for their reactions. Two minutes later, he was done, and I wait in eager anticipation to see if one of the photos is in the paper today. He said other photographers were out doing 'weather pictures' as well, so there's no guaranteeing it will be in, but I'll buying the paper today just to check. Oh, and I now know the gorgeous barman's name, as his mates kept shouting it during the football.

· link

Home