World of Chig   

23.4.02

Gay men in boringly predictable non-shocking survey


In between the daytime activity of helping friends move house at the weekend, I managed to squeeze in some work for Gay Times, thinly disguised as a visit to the Nightingale. It was the return of the Vox Pop, and the subject for the June issue is sport, to tie in with the World Cup. Amongst my probing (careful!), intellectual questions, which you’ll have to buy GT for if you want to read, I asked fourteen young, gay men to name the sexiest sports star. I don’t even have to tell you who came first, with five mentions, do I? You can probably guess who was second, with three votes, as well. Third place, with two votes, went to one of my favourites, even though he’s retired. All of the following received one vote each: Tim Henman, Pete Sampras, Jensen Button (F1), Jason Robinson (England, rugby union) and, er, Martina Hingis.

The youth of today, eh? They just don’t pay enough attention to other sports, so no mentions for the ones at the top of my list; Roman Sebrle (Czech decathlete), Gabe Kapler (US baseball), Alexei Nemov (Russian gymnast) or the amusingly named Ivan Ivankov (Belarussian gymnast). Still, it’s nice to fantasise that I could have them all to myself(!)

· link

Home