World of Chig   

25.3.02

Oscar marathon

It’s now 5.20am, and I’m still up! That’s Monday buggered then. I’ve stayed up to watch the Oscars live. It was worth it to see Halle Berry’s stunned reaction to winning best actress. She was genuinely stunned, and just kept saying ‘Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.’ I gather she’s the first black actress to ever win, and that a black woman has only even won supporting actress once. Consequently, she gave a hugely emotional speech; a far more hyper performance than Gwyneth Paltrow’s tedious weepie, because she understood the historic significance of what she’s just achieved.

I haven’t even heard of Monster’s Ball, the film for which Halle Berry has won. It isn’t out in the UK yet, it’s low budget, and even Jonathan Ross hasn’t seen it!

“It’s been a very large door, and I’m glad that she was the one who’s kicked it down,” said host Whoopi Goldberg after Halle Berry’s win.

(ten minutes later…) And Denzel Washington has won as well! That’s a bit of a shock, but it completes a black double for the acting Oscars. No award for Russell Crowe. “Two birds in one night, huh?” was Denzel’s first comment. I've no idea if he deserves it for Training Day, but he should get it for past achievements such as Biko anyway (and maybe Malcolm X, but I haven't seen that).

A Beautiful Mind has won Best Film and Best Director for Ron Howard. That leaves the final totals as follows:
A Beautiful Mind = 4 (Best Film, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Supporting Actress: Jennifer Connolly)
Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring = 4 (Make-up, Cinematography, Visual Effects, Original Score)
Moulin Rouge = 2 (Costume Design, Art Direction)
Black Hawk Down = 2 (Editing, Sound)

Don’t think any other film won more than one. Randy Newman won his first Oscar for his Monsters Inc. song, after 15 nominations, apparently!

Jim Broadbent was the big British winner, for Best Supporting Actor.
Sidney Poitier is the youngest-looking septegenarian man I've ever seen - he must share Joan Collins' surgeon.

Right, it’s 5.55am, the programme’s finished over an hour late, and I’m off to bed!

· link

Home