World of Chig   

18.3.02

Gay Times joy and Pink Paper horror


I'm quite proud of the fact that I have not one but TWO articles in the current edition of Gay Times; a write-up of the new club in Sheffield and my first Vox Pop, on the subject of school, done on the night of the drunken blog (see below, Sunday 03/02/02 @ 03:57).

And while we're on the subject of gay magazines, I didn't know whether to laugh or be horrified today when I opened this week's Pink Paper, picked up at the weekend. There on page three is the headline "Scene targeted in new drugs programme". Underneath it is a picture of a very spaced out looking druggie, with the tiny sidebar 'posed by model'. You're having a laugh! Model indeed! That's my friend Chris, that is! Although it would be tempting to believe that the Pink Paper paid someone to look really, really awful for the purposes of illustrating a news story, I don't think they needed to - this is just a picture of Chris after one of his average nights out, bless him. I met Chris and his boyf (who works for the Pink Paper, hence the existence of the photo, surely?) two years ago, and we all ended up in a (non-sexual) three in a bed situation at their hotel. I have photos of Chris where he looks considerably better than this 'wrecked' picture (and a couple of him asleep on said night too). This is a far cry from his modelling stint in (now defunct) Fluid magazine late last year, when he looked, as he usually does, rather attractive. Which is why this weekend's picture is so funny.

· link

Home