World of Chig   

25.2.02

Of all the bars in all the world...


Well fuck me! First of all, we fly for an hour and a half to Melbourne for the weekend, which I suppose is roughly equivalent to being at home and flying for a weekend in Berlin. We're barely into Club Exchange when I spot a familiar face, then two, on the dancefloor. Nick and Brian from Bimingham are here! Dancing! There are several pubs/clubs in Melbourne where they could have ended up, but they're here. Spooky! I knew they were coming to Sydney for Mardi Gras, and we had arranged to meet, but I had NO IDEA they would be in Melbourne when we were. Our Aussie hosts M and R were equally freaked out by it.

And then tonight, M and I have a brilliant time watching Pam Ann in cabaret at Fox Studios - highly recommended. We call in at Gilligan's on Oxford Street for 'one drink' (as you do), and end up talking to this lovely lesbian couple (and having THREE drinks, getting in now, at 3.15am). And guess what? One of them is from Beausale, a hamlet, near Hatton, a still tiny village, about three miles from where I grew up. We know the same pubs in Leamington: it's all very surreal.

As if to add to this, mein host N went to the gym earlier (I postponed visit no. 4 due to gippy tummy) and was accosted by an ex-shag from Nottingham. It's a bloody small world, and no mistake!

· link

Home